Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Ricochet

4 December 2007 ~ Reflecting Pool

----------------
Now playing: Survivor - The Search Is Over
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Me, taken during Basic Training, March 1997
It's 4 December 2007…five years ago today was my last day of active duty in the United States Air Force. For those that don’t know, I spent the last 3 years of my military days stationed in Northern Germany, near the Dutch border. I lived in this small, beautiful, Old World village called Kalkar, which is situated about 5 hours north of the American conglomerate known as K-town. It was great living so far north and working with an international staff; I even taught myself German and made quite a few German national friends. (Pictured Right: Me in Basic Training, taken March 1997)

However, the tides changed around May of 2002 when, after nearly 6 years of active service, I decided that I was not going to reenlist at the end of my term. Instead, I had focused my attention on the desires of my heart and ultimately the fruition of yet another lifelong dream, and that meant moving to Chicago hopefully to join the civilian sector. Naturally, I am required to omit much of the specifics surrounding the nature of events during this period—it can all be found in my book…the same book I have been working on for nearly 10 years! I will finish it someday.

I left my life in Germany on 28 October 2002 and departed on Terminal Leave for, what I thought could only be described as “a dream come true.” Living in Chicago had always been a dream of mine since I was very young, but like most dreams it was short-lived. In late November of that same year I moved back to Omaha, Nebraska (for the second time of my life); again the reasoning of which will be divulged in the greater chronicles to come.

From Nov 2002 to Sept 2004, I remained in Omaha; although, I moved around a few times until finally settling in West Omaha. As luck prevailed, another dream came true in September 04 and I moved to the DC area to accept a nice job offer and I was blessed with an even better job offer a few months later.

My life really began to change when I moved to the DC metropolitan area. For the first time in my life, interstates—a method of travel designed for rapid transportation—became mere parking lots. Further, I started making a little bit of money so hopefully one day I’ll be able to climb out from underneath that boulder of debt. I met my wonderful partner and even managed to buy a very nice condo; actually we’re just renting it from the bank and good God the rent is outrageous!

Sadly; however, whenever and wherever there is good in life, the bad is notMy brother during Basic Training, taken 1993 far behind and I’m not saying this to sound pessimistic but rather pragmatic. As most everyone in my life knows, I lost my brother just three months ago and not far after, our family took another devastating blow. As I mentioned in previous posts, just after my brother’s untimely demise, his widow discovered the miracle of life had been bestowed graciously upon her. A few weeks ago, she discovered how unbearably cruel life truly can be when she lost the unborn life. Since this tragic discovery, I have not had the time, the energy or the desire to update my blog. (Pictured Right: my brother in Basic Training, taken Aug 1993)

It’s the end of era and the end of the former call sign “Sgtdildo” for this blogsite. I decided today, to respectfully retire that name, as that was one of my brother’s favorite sayings since we were very young. Now that he and any hope of his offspring are gone, it’s time move forward. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about my brother and the friendship we had growing up; tears often still well up every once in a while.

***

As I reflect on today’s significance, I look back at photos of the past decade and wonder where that little kid went that joined the Air Force 10 years ago (4 Feb 97). I’ve done a lot of crazy things over the years, some great and some not so smart. Along the way, I made a lot of lasting friendships; lost contact with some good friends and family; lost two friends to cancer, and made countless errors in judgment. I have also gained a lot over the years, primarily through experiences attained in life and debt.

I know that I’m not unique in occasionally pondering the endless possibilities of “if I could go back then knowing what I know now” and wondering if elements in life would turn out the same, worse, or better. Suffice to say, none of us will ever know. Fortunately; however, understanding this should make us wiser through experience and ultimately broaden our perspectives enough so that we don’t repeat things we may later regret.

I can attest from personal experiences, that regardless of what gets us down, we have an inherent ability eventually to bounce back.


Until next time…
NK

"...you've been my inspiration; you've been my guiding light."

No comments: